Thursday, September 20, 2018

Getting to Know Stuff and Problems with Internet

I seem to have taken all the bugs running around and yet again I was on a sick leave from my work. Maybe now I have harvested all I could and the next week would be dedicated to work!

There are few things I have gone through with actual experience, such as the new law for Internet data storing in Russia. This made me to change service provider and I will get to that in this or the next post. Here I am going to show you first some glimpse of what this university is about. 





Showing the international students around and getting to know studies and training facilities.


Some hardware to use on the pumping of oil.



Presentation hall for Uhkta.



Gazprom has one of it's biggest offices in Ukhta.


Pipelines.


Both Lukoil and Gazprom are well presented in the university. These are here, according to the tour, to be able to present themselves for the students and get the best ones to work for them.


This is for development of technology etc. studies




How the companies are working closely together with the locals and surroundings (one example).


Mining the oil, not just pumping.





One of the biggest lecture hall.


Walking down the Lenin street to work.


This was taken yesterday as my phone package had cut off and Mikhail came to my rescue to find unlimited package. Yes, we were running around trying to find the shop and outside of the main street, behind the buildings the roads are as such.


Needed some coffee and ice cream after that!


When I came back to my room, I was told to change the rooms and end up cleaning second apartment for myself. Washing the floors; true Russian experience I would say, but functional. 


I think they started feeling sorry for me sleeping with my winter jacket on. Still do as I need to plug this off while sleeping or going out (Risk of fire). Actually one of the plugs behind me was smelling funny and made crackling noises when we first used it - and no, no electrical mechanic was called in to inspect it! Just was told not to use it. :D


Had to attend this one, where we were told not to use any electrical stuff (such as water boiler) in our rooms. There has been more than one case of fire and deaths: Though, I am working here, so rules are for me a bit different.


This is the service provider I would recommend to find, they are one still left with unlimited data per month. Though, I only can call within Komi with this package. Tele2 I "burned" in 10 days so not for someone who uses a lot of data! 

Even though I paid double this month for my Internet, I still got it 3 times cheaper than in Finland. It works just fine. Only thing is, that you need to pay the fee in the stores every month, unless you have Sberbank or something similar to be able to pay online.

With Tele2 I had additional problem of getting messages and phone calls nonstop with the previous owners name. It was really annoying. This one has been silent. So my voice goes to Megaphone company if planning on getting your own number in Russia.

Other than that, I am really tired with the language, just jamming all the time. Quite normal as I have gone through the language fatigue before. One recommendation to learn before coming here:

"What would you recommend."

additionally, take your study books with you even though it is extra weight. I would have desperately needed them now to study what I have been using during the days or needed to use! Now I have not had time to find a bookstore to buy ones here, so just take them with you. Secondly, learn to buy phone/sim card in Russian language before coming here. It is easier when able to buy stuff by yourself.

I will leave the work related news to my next post, I still need to rest to fully recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment