Friday, September 14, 2018

Back to Work - New Students and Language Skills Development

So I actually managed to forget to take pictures as I was helping with translation between English and Russian (sometimes French). Anyway, to take pictures outside was impossible as it was raining and quite persistent wind was preventing such activities aswell.

These were the gifts given to new students and I got myself one too.

I have noticed I have surprisingly huge passive vocabulary and to be honest, even my "boss" is encouraging me to use Russian in future, when giving speeches or lectures. I think I just should get over with myself to use Russian more. At this point it is actually starting to be the first language that my mind offers me when starting to talk. I also have noticed, I have started thinking in Russian or at least trying to find words to what I am thinking of.

CV is developing bit by bit, just needs some more adjustments. I need to find decent dictionary though. It is just slow work as I need to figure out the words (straight translation will not do) or use some other way to find how it is been expressed in Russian, or how certain Finnish things are actually translated when there is no such word/thing/etc. in Russian!

Additionally, I have been pushing myself by listening news in Russian and watching some movies too. Slowly getting into the speed of their speech and keeping up with the content. Today, I managed to have discussion - in Russian - about Shoulders of Giants Oy and the presentation they wish to have. It is funny how fast this all has happened. I just came here this Monday.

Oh, enjoy my cozy evening picture, found some rice porridge stuff and yarn, hooray!




No comments:

Post a Comment